Quiche anyone? I love making quiches. I mostly make mini quiches. Using a pre-made pastry and muffin tin, I make them in batches to have on hand for quick lunches, and there are always some in the freezer that can be defrosted and eaten with a tossed salad on those days when either time or inspiration escapes me (yes, I have those days too!).
This quiche, though, is from scratch and a little more formal than the mini ones I make, none the less it can still be served with a tossed salad and slices can still be frozen to be used later. To add another flavour, pop in ½ cup of sliced mushrooms. Make sure you fry the mushrooms in a bit of butter first. That will take the flavours to the next level!
What you need
For the crust
1 ¾ cup (200g) whole-wheat flour
1 cup (115g) all-purpose flour
¾ tsp. salt
¼ cup(60ml) olive oil
2/3 (165ml) water
2 tsp. lemon juice
For the quiche
1 tbsp. olive oil
½ onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
400g chopped tomatoes (fresh or tinned)
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 sprig fresh rosemary
½ tsp. dried thyme
2 egg yolks
¾ cup (180ml) almond milk, unsweetened
1/3 cup (80g) cheese, grated
1 heaped tbsp. parmesan cheese, grated
salt & pepper
What you need to do
For the crust
- In a large bowl, combine the flours and salt. Make a well in the centre, add the olive oil and mix with a fork. Next, add the water and lemon juice and mix well until the dough forms a ball.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, and work the dough until smooth and easy to shape into a ball. Do not overwork or the pastry will become tough. Divide the dough in half, shape each half into a ball, press gently and wrap in clingfilm. Place the pastry in the fridge and allow to rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- When ready to bake the quiche remove one of the balls of dough from the fridge. Grease and flour a 20cm (8inch) tart dish or tin. Dust the work surface and rolling pin with flour and roll the dough out into a circle wide enough to fit the baking dish/tin. Place the crust into the dish, moulding it to fit the shape. Using a fork pierce the base of the pastry case a few times. If you have them place the ceramic pastry beans on the pastry. Put the dish/tin in the oven and blind bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the pastry case from the oven. Carefully remove the ceramic baking beans, they will be hot!
To fill the quiche
- While you are waiting for the crust to blind bake, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan and add the onion. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring until softened. Add the garlic and cook for around 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often, until the tomatoes have soften and their juices have reduced.
- Remove the rosemary sprig. Allow the tomato mixture to cool slightly. There should be approximately 1 cup of the tomato mixture.
- Beat the eggs and egg yolks in a bowl. Brush the bottom of the pastry crust with a small amount of the beaten egg and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the milk into the eggs, add ½ teaspoon salt, freshly ground pepper to taste and whisk together. Stir in the grated cheeses and tomato sauce and mix well. Pour the mixture into the crust. Optional, slice a tomato and place the slices on top of the mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, at the same temperature, 180°C (350°F) until the quiche has set in the middle. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
If you want to make healthy eating simple and easy with recipes that support your digestive and detoxification pathways, reduce bloating, and nourish you from the inside out, explore my Seasonal Nutrition Resets. They are loaded with whole food recipes to download and use whenever you want. One for each season is available here.
As always remember your reasons, your health, your mission, and the people you love.
If you would like to support my projects and thank me for my free content, you can do so here.
I appreciate your support! 😊
Want to be your healthiest, most vibrant self?
Download my FREE 5 day Live More, Love More,
Create More program
A combination of healthy recipes, mindfulness meditation, and movement ideas to supercharge your well-being and support you in becoming your healthiest most vibrant self.